A few python questions

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 20 13:17:45 EDT 2000

    I've been trying to learn how to program in python and as
an exercise been trying to write a simple database app.  However,
I've that a few questions that don't seem to be answered in the
library reference, tutorial or reference.
    The first problem I've encountered is trying to determine
the size of a file.  The file type doesn't seem to have any
function that returns the length of a file.  I've been seeking
to the end of the file and then using tell.  However this seems
kind of inelegant, is there a way to get the file size of a file
without doing this or using the stat function from the os module?
    Also is it possible to use PyKDE or PyQT without installing SIP?
I already have SWIG and don't really want to install another tool
that has basically the same functionality.
    Finally, is there some documentation for the python interface
to postgresql?  The rpm package that comes with redhat 6.2 doesn't
have any documentation.

Suchandra S. Thapa
s-thapa at uchicago.edu