Python COM for Linux?

Warren Postma embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com
Tue Jun 27 09:47:16 EDT 2000

I find callbacks from C to python to be no problem. I use a simple
publish/subscribe event model implemented as a C extension that has a
dictionary with the event names as the keys (strings), and the callbacks as
a list of Python functions.  The C code is both portable and elegant, IMHO.

Adding COM just to get callbacks would be ugly for two reasons:

1. You already have TWO sets of  primitive types (C builtin variable types,
and Python's native types), why mix in a third?

2. COM on Linux is a fudge, and not a very stable one at that. There is a
COM implementation for Linux but it's not open source, so if you have a
problem, you can't fix it, you're stuck.

Warren