Python Productivity over C++

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Jun 16 07:48:37 EDT 2000

Russell Wallace <rwallace at esatclear.ie> wrote:

> > stevemul at ozemail.com.au (Steve Mullarkey) wrote:
> >
> > > I have read in several places productivity claims of 5 to 10 times over
> > > 'C' and "C++". I would like to ask for some feedback from "C++"
> > > programmers who have moved to Python as to whether these estimates are
> > > realistic.
>
> As someone who uses and likes both C++ and Python, I think estimates
> like that are excessively simplistic.
[snip]

Actually, the "simplistic" part is not taking into account things like
problem domain, tools, and, most importantly, programmer "type" (skill,
experience, etc.). Strangely enough, I would bet that *temperment*
counts for oodles: If you *really hate* Python, I doubt you'll be wildly
productive in it. On the other hand, if you're like me and there's no
way in this lifetime that you'll learn C++ (granted I'm not a programmer
*per se*), then Python makes me *way* more productive. (Er...ok,
Smalltalk/Squeak makes me way more productive, but actually having
written Python code, and actually being willing to read Python code,
still makes Python a significant increaser of my programming
productivity over C++ code, the mere thought of which makes me more
likely to work on my disseration, or clean the toilet).

--
Bijan Parsia
http://monkeyfist.com/