broken examples in reference? Help??

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Jun 16 05:10:11 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 11:17:03PM -0700, paul at fizzylab.com wrote:

> I am trying to work with python and it seems quite
> straightforward most of the time, but I fear I may have a
> broken binary or something else wrong.

I don't think so,

> #!/usr/bin/python
> import httplib
> h = httplib.HTTP('www.python.org')

[..]

You try to connect to www.python.org, which seems to have some connection
troubles right now. At least, it's not accessible from a couple of my
machines, and only barely accessible from a few other, in a different
network. It might be specific to me, maybe alter.net is filtering or
source-routing some of our networks, but it looks like some maintenance is
being done or such.

It's easy to test if that's the problem though: telnet to 'www.python.org',
port 80, from the machine you try to run the script on. Or replace
'www.python.org' with a webserver closeby, like your ISPs webserver.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>