Future of PythonWin?

Tom tom-main at REMOVEME.home.com
Tue Jun 6 13:39:48 EDT 2000

Mark,

Thanks for the response.

I'm interested in your comments on MFC because I'm an MFC developer who is
looking for an alternative.

I agree that MFC seems to be on the way out, but there are two things that
prevent me (and some other MFC developers) from switching:
1) The CodeTools & CodeGuru sites contains TONS of peer reviewed code (in
the form of messages at the end of every article) that is free, even for
commercial use.  80% of this code is in the form of MFC extensions.
2) What's next?
- STL?  Yes, but that's not a GUI.
- ATL & WTL?  Too MS only.
- wxWindows?  Only has a tiny fraction of the number of users & code that
the other options have.
- TCL/TK?  I've heard this is slow, and it can't create native windows' apps
(users want the windows look & feel).
- Java?  Again, too proprietary.

Since I'm starting to learn Python (using your book), it would be nice to
use something that is in common use from both Python and C++.  I guess that
leaves me with wxWindows.

BTW, I think I'm part of the target market for your Visual Studio Python
product.  I know VS quite well, so it would be nice (ie. worth paying for)
to be able to develop for Python in it.  If this meant that I could use the
windows' resources that I'm familiar with than that would also be
convenient, but then the cross-platform character of Python would be lost -
so I don't know which I would prefer.

Tom.

news:m03%4.6579$Hz.48365 at news-server.bigpond.net.au...