[FAQTS] Python Knowledge Base Update -- June 1st, 2000

Fiona Czuczman fiona at sitegnome.com
Thu Jun 1 11:03:43 EDT 2000

Greetings,

Only a couple of entries into http://python.faqts.com tonight.

Fiona Czuczman

## New Entries #################################################

I'd like to create a subclass of list that loads its contents from a file when you instantiate it. What do I subclass to do this?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/3424
Fiona Czuczman
Remco Gerlich

You can't directly subclass types, like lists and integers. This is
commonly viewed as a flaw in Python, maybe this will be changed once.

However, you can subclass UserList.UserList, a Python wrapper around a
list (see Lib/UserList.py for its source).

(win32api) how to enumerate processes?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/3428
Fiona Czuczman
Mark Hammond

You need to use the performance monitor functions - check out
win32pdhutil.py for a demo.

What's the event name for catching mouse movement without a button pressed?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/3427
Fiona Czuczman
John Grayson

>From John Grayson's book "Python and Tkinter Programming"

I think Example_6_2.py demostrates this, and the event is also noted on
page 618.

However, this snippet tracks the motion of the mouse without a button
down...

from Tkinter import *

root = Tk()

def motion(event):
    print 'Mouse: x=%d, y=%d' % (event.x, event.y)

frame = Frame(root, width=250, height=250)
frame.bind('<Motion>', motion)
frame.pack()

root.mainloop()