Shoud I use Java or Python?

Davide Del Vento del.vento at libero.it
Mon Jun 26 07:34:29 EDT 2000

Hello world!
I am a physicist, with experience in "C" language (not too much C++) and no
previous web-based experiences.
Now I have to develop some applications based on a client-server queries on
databases and remote (but not only) big images manipulation.
It should work indepentently of client platform and it should be simply ported
from windows to linux server.

This project will be used by scientist that will be interested in use some of
the ESA's SMART-1 images, see http://sci.esa.int/home/smart-1/index.cfm for
details.

I think that using java will be fine (I will call "exec" in order to run other
application that will do the eavy work on server), but what's about python?
I use linux and I found it installed on my PC, so I visited the web-site (and
the newsgroup), but I don't understand if there are some advantage in writing
phyton application instead in writing Java ones or not (for my case, obviously).

Thank you very much for your help.
Bye,
;Davide
PS forwarding answer in mailbox will be appreciated.

--
Posted from [212.41.208.23]