Computer Algebra System

Matt Feinstein mfein at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Tue Jun 20 15:47:09 EDT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:25:09 -0400, Jonathan Epstein
<Jonathan_Epstein at nih.gov> wrote:

>Matlab has an interface to Maple (their "Symbolic Toolbox", I think).
>
>It might be useful to study their API, and emulate it in a reasonable
>(and hopefully legal) fashion in Python.
>
>-Jonathan

It's pretty simple, at least from the user's point of view. You
declare your symbolic variables a la

sym x y z;

and then just go ahead and use the symbolic variables in the
interpreter in algebraic or arithmetic expressions the same way you
would use numerical expressions-- all the arithmetic and algebraic
operators used by the interpreter are appropriately overloaded. There
is an accompanying suite of functions and state variables that control
how the symbolic stuff is done. There is also an 'Extended' symbolic
toolbox that gives the user direct access to the Maple kernel.

--
Matt Feinstein
mfein at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Organizational Department of Repeated