Regex engines

Donal K. Fellows fellowsd at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 11:35:56 EDT 2000

In article <3dd7laes4x.fsf_-_ at mems-exchange.org>,
Andrew Kuchling  <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
> * Tcl uses a Unicode-aware engine written by Henry Spencer, but it's
> not available as a standalone library.  At the Ottawa Linux conference
> last July I asked about releasing it, but have seen no sign of it
> almost a year later.

There shouldn't be a problem with releasing it by just ripping it
straight out of the Tcl sources, as it is not tightly bound to the
rest of Tcl.  Indeed, apart from a bit of code relating to dynamic
string management and some code relating to unicode-aware character
management, Henry's RE code is completely separate from Tcl (well, it
is in Tcl8.3.0 which is the last version I've got a handy source tree
to grep through for at the moment... :^)

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    fellowsd at cs.man.ac.uk
-- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't