spaces in filenames

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Jun 10 22:52:16 EDT 2000

[Tim, suggests forcing a Windows Python 1.5.2 install to use a
 path without embedded spaces]

[Neil Schemenauer]
> This is something that pissed me off about Windows 95.  Microsoft
> just had to show off their new feature allowing spaces in
> filenames by putting a space in one of the most important
> directory names on the system.  Unix has allowed weird characters
> in filenames for ages.  Just because you can do it doesn't mean
> its a good idea.  I wonder how much time has been wasted
> worldwide because Microsoft did not call "Program Files"
> "Programs".

Probably lots, but probably not by end-users.  This is something only
developers give a rip about (but anyone who downloads Python with the intent
of programming falls into this category!).

"The typical end-user" is exemplified for me by a particular sister, an
artist by training and inclination but bureaucrat by twist of fate.  I
bought her her first computer a couple years ago, and it was a Win95 box
(had I bought her a Linux box, she'd still be trying to boot it <0.3 wink>).
Spaces in file names are as natural as breathing to her -- that's the way
*everything* in her written life works.  I don't think ehe's ever seen a DOS
box.  And if you stick-- as I suspect the overwhelming majority of Windows
users do --purely to GUI apps, spaces in paths simply don't bite you.

or-when-they-do-you-blame-something-else-like-a-mean-brother-ly y'rs  - tim