Controlling an external program with Python

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 30 14:39:08 EDT 2000

Quoth Paul Duffin <pduffin at hursley.ibm.com>:

[ ... about transplanting pty support from Expect ]

| You do like mixing metaphors, first it is nautical, then it is criminal,
| anyone would think you were a pirate ;-).
|
| The trouble is that any abstraction which does not deal with all those
| barnacles will have limited use. There are many people out there using
| Expect on older platforms who would not be pleased to lose support.

If they complain, they'll walk the plank!  Seriously, no one using
Expect is going to lose support for their older platforms.  That's
one very nice thing about Expect: it's someone else's problem.

As any Python pseudotty support would also probably be, someone's
problem other than mine anyway.  So it makes no sense for me to
complain however this feat is accomplished, it's up to the folks
who do the work.  I'm sure that someone who really wants to divorce
the Expect from Tcl will be able to make it work.  I also think it
would be OK to try something else, like the MIT Kerberos 5 pty
library already mentioned.  And I think would be a waste of time
to try to write it from scratch.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu