Odp: Python on Alpha OpenVMS

Tomek Lisowski Lisowski.Tomasz at sssa.nospam.pl
Mon Mar 27 07:57:14 CEST 2000

Użytkownik Ian Parker <parker at gol.com> w wiadomości do grup dyskusyjnych
napisał:hDlBpKAS7T34Ew1e at gol.com...
> In article <z4_C4.6214$4N.168038 at news.tpnet.pl>, Tomek Lisowski
> <Lisowski.Tomasz at sssa.nospam.pl> writes
> >Hi!
> >
> >I have tried to compile Python sources on my VAX OpenVMS system, but soon
> >realized, that instead of my trusty DEC C++ compiler I need a native C
> >compiler. Unfortunately my C++ compiler cannot be reverted to a native C
> >language mode. Has anyone succeeded to create VAX OpenVMS Python
> >
> >Note: Apart from VAX OpenVMS I have also an Alpha OpenVMS server, but
here I
> >don't have any C/C++ compiler available. If anyone has created Alpha
> >Python binaries, please contact me too.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >Tomasz Lisowski
> >
> Tomasz
> If you aren't planning changes to the source, why not just download and
> link the object modules from:
> http://decus.decus.de/~zessin/python/obj.html
> I'm so inspired by this solution, I'm at last downloading them myself.

I am just not sure, for which platform were these modules compiled, and for
which version of OpenVMS system. I suppose, there could be some differences
between the OpenVMS versions. At least you can see them in the source code,
where there are some #ifdef and #if directives concerning the OpenVMS
version string.

Please report, if you succeeded in making your Python running properly,
including the platform and OS info.

Tomasz Lisowski