Python advocacy

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Mar 9 09:04:16 EST 2000

In article <8a885s$2rl$1 at saltmine.radix.net>,
Cary O'Brien <cobrien at Radix.Net> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>One reason that these extensions are so great is
>the event model.  Well, the right way would be
>to say that Tk forced Tcl to operate in an event-driven
>manner, and this allows things like fileevent and
>Scotty to be so slick.
>
>I'm doing a little Python (via Zope) and the thing
>I miss the most is the tcl event model.
			.
			.
			.
I entirely agree.  The two things most distinctive
about Tcl programming--once one accepts that every-
thing is a string--are events and traces.

Very crudely, if you're feeling lonely in Pythonia
for event processing, look for a way to use threads.

Some argue that thread programming is inherently
superior to event programming.  While I don't buy it
<URL:http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-11-1999/swol-11-regex.html>
readers shouldn't be surprised to encounter it.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net