Stackless/microthreads merge news

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue May 16 15:16:11 EDT 2000

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Courageous wrote:
>
> > But I think you'd have to write a full fledged compiler for this [making
> > C stackless]  and that *is* a lot of work.
>
> Making C *anything* would be a lot of work...but please note that making
> C stackless doesn't buy you a lot -- I mean, it just means you'll use some
> other pointer instead of the stack-pointer, and move it to a linked-list
> from a resizable array. And we already talked about linked-list vs.
> resizable arrays

Not quite. It would buy you everything.
This doesn't mean to use linked lists all over the place.
No that would e a mess. But to be able to do it at all,
with compiler support, that would be everything I need.

> it's-just-like-making-forth-stackless-ly y'rs, Z.

Making Forth stackless means to add a word that is able
to switch stacks, and use that in places where it makes
sense: Where we want to be able to grab a continuation.

While we are at it: How would you name such a Forth-word?

wondering-how-they-always-guess-my-pet-projects-ly y'rs - chris