Python scoping

Garry Hodgson garry at
Thu Nov 2 20:28:03 CET 2000

"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" wrote:

> I tend to agree and am very much confused about the python
> community's attitude about this point. You get hit in several
> different ways with indentation.

[dire consequences omitted]

oddly enough, in several years now, i haven't found any of these
to be a problem.  nor have the other folks i know who use python.

> Forcing people to properly indent to get the indentation right ( or
> hope their editor does, and sometimes it doesn't ) to get the right
> block structure seems foolish. About the only reason that people can
> provide is that it forces people to have a coherent coding style
> indentation wise.

i don't care about forcing other people to indent.  i care that i
needn't clutter my code with noise characters or noise keywords.

> The biggest thing that the python community doesn't realise is how
> much it hurts them to use indenting to determine the block structure.
> I know at least five programmers who say they will never touch python
> because of this one fact even though they consider it superior to
> alternatives in every other way.

their loss.  maybe they'll mature a bit and revisit
the issue when they're ready for it.

> I also know of two managers ( from
> programming ranks ) who say they wouldn't allow their programers
> to use it. They say that any language that requires that of it's
> proggrammers is probably to simplistic ( from some previous experience
> I guess ).

again, that is their loss.  if they're making broad assumptions based
on such a minor point, i'd say their judgement isn't very good
to begin with.

> Should there ever come around a programming language
> similar to python but with braces or a begin/end, then python will be
> gone. The volume of  people who have been avoiding python ( along with
> some who now use python ) will adapt the new language, and the
> momentum will be sucked avay from python.

there are any number of languages quite similar to python.  most
use the traditional noise for statement grouping.  python is still

Garry Hodgson                   Once in a while
Senior Hacker                   you can get shown the light
Software Innovation Services    in the strangest of places
AT&T Labs                       if you look at it right