Compiling Python on multiple platforms...

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Fri Oct 27 13:33:45 EDT 2000

Hi,

I'm about to start compiling Python on a number of *nix systems
(Solaris,HPUX,AIX,True64,IRIX,Linux). To make matters more interesting
I'm only making these to the point where our sysadmin can say "make
install" (they're so sensitive about the root password ;-)

Question 1: We'll be doing some xml work. Do I need to download and
compile expat seperatly, or does it come with the Python 2.0 tarball?

Question 2: Are there any of the above platforms where readline doesn't
work?

Question 3: Are there any of the above platforms where Tkinter doesn't
work? (is this a separate install?)

Question 4: Are there any of the above platforms where PIL doesn't work?

Question 5: I'm hoping to have _one_ source installation, and compile
the binaries so they're not conflicting with each other... Is this
possible?

Any hints, tips, caveats, etc. are very welcome...!

-- bjorn