Public Domain Python

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 13 13:30:24 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin wrote:

> It depends on what you mean by "Python".  Perhaps you're thinking of the
> "core", but by "Python", I mean the entire thing: all C source, all
> Python libraries, all documents, all miscellany.  After all, if the goal
> Speak softly but carry a big megaphone.
> --
>
> Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
> Publisher of dspGuru                           http://www.dspguru.com
> Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com

The existing license is applied to how much of that.  I'm not totally sure of
the justification.  If, say, an XML gizmo is included with the language and
was written by someone as a contribution to Python under the old license, why
does the new license apply to it?
OTOH, if the license says "much of the code was based on...", how can one
figure out which parts?

Perhaps "all" one would need to reimplement would would be the
compiler/virtual machine.  I don't think that the included libraries can
really be claimed, except for some of them.

-- (c) Charles Hixson
--  Addition of advertisements or hyperlinks to products specifically
prohibited