Python + Borland - msvcrt = grr.

Stephen news at myNOSPAM.org
Mon Apr 23 03:06:02 EDT 2001

Howdy,

    I just sent in the patch to fix up all the Python sources to let it
compile from the Borland free compiler or C++Builder. This leaves two issues
remaining before I put up the projects/makefiles somewhere:

    #1) BCC is giving off the STRANGEST warnings. They make no sense-at-all,
it seems to me that the compiler doesn't comprehend that a variable that
only gets modified by macros is actually being modified, so it complains a
LOT about 'variable is assigned a value but never used' etc. Anyways, I'm
looking to the C++Builder for a fix on this :)

    #2) 'msvcrt'. That's the only barrier to actually having the sources
compile if my patch is added in. I havn't yet actually looked at how much
can be salvaged/#ifdef'd around to duplicate the functionality for
borland... but I have a question:

    Why the heck is it called _msvcrt_? Half of it will work right now -- I
know Borland supports putch/getch, for instance. The other half will likely
just need some minor fixes. The module *really* should be called
'winconsole' or something.

Anyways. :)

--Stephen
(replace 'NOSPAM' with 'seraph' to respond in email)