What's happening to mxODBC?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 9 10:09:38 EDT 2001

"Thomas Weholt" <thomas at cintra.no> wrote in message
news:U6jA6.7296$NR.581126 at news3.oke.nextra.no...
> Hi,
>
> Could somebody please tell me if mxODBC is still available as open source,
> free etc.
> From what I can gather on the http://www.lemburg.com-pages it's now gone
> commercial
> and commerical use requires a $150 license. Don't even know if it's
> available for non-commercial use.
>
> I thought this was a free package, with available source too, and I'm
> starting to worry if this is going to happen to several of the most
popular
> packages available for python also, like PIL etc. ? ( once free then
> suddenly commercial, expensive etc. ) It's all good and fine with
commercial
> support, but keep the packages free, at least in binary form.

As far as I can recall it's free (as in free beer!) for individual
non-commercial use, and also free for use in open-source projects. However,
the web site does seem to make that reasonably clear.

Here's a quote from Marc-Andre's latest bug-fix release announcement:

"""
WHAT DOES IT COST ?

mxODBC comes with a licenses which allows non-commercial use at no
charge, but costs a moderate fee for commercial use. Please see

http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html#mxCOMMERCIAL

for details. The package comes with full source code.

"""

regards
 Steve