Curl, the language/environment/markup language...(Spanish Civil War)...

Christopher Barber cbarber at curl.com
Fri Apr 13 16:03:03 EDT 2001

 >> that can do what Curl can do.
 >>
 >> > OK, I'll bite... what the heck does it do that is so cool I'd be willing
 >> > to pay you per unit executed code for it?
 >>
 >> As I said, companies will be willing to pay based on usage if they can
 >> save money on their web-hosting costs by requiring fewer servers and less
 >> bandwidth.  From a programmer's perspective that doesn't sound very cool
 >> but from a business perspective it makes sense.

 >> What is "in it" for the end-users? why would I install the Curl plugin.  I
 >> admit I'm one of those luddites that even thinks twice about
 >> ShockWave/Flash/Acrobat. But even non-paranoids are resistent to
 >> downloading binary extensions to their browsers.

I think that Curl is in the same boat with the other plugins that you mention.
End-users will download the plugin because of the content they can access
using it.  No one would download any of those other plugins if there weren't
content that required it.  Obviously this is a hurdle we will have to get over
to be succesful in the web-market but others have done it before us so I see
no reason why we can't do it as well.

Also, if the Curl technology is deployed in an intranet enviornment, in which
one company controls both the servers and the end-users installations, then
this is not an issue.

- Christopher