why python annoys me

Luke floods at netplus.net
Tue Apr 17 18:08:14 EDT 2001

Python is an ugly language...

Why should you have to name stuff with __*__ to get some pseudo hiding?
Or for any reason for that matter...

Why do you always have to access class data members as self.* What a
pain in the ass, and anti-OO.  In a Java class, you don't constantly
have to write this.feature = this.feature2 ++; if this.a > this.b etc...
How tedious that would be, and is with Python's self.

Is it procedural or OO?  Some of the std lib seems to think it is OO,
and the other half seems to think it is procedural... I mean sometimes
you create a new object with new, other times you just get a reference
by calling a function.  Even Java is more object oriented than this--you
*only* write classes, and the standard library is *only* made of
objects.  Python gives too many ways of doing it.

Furthermore, the syntax and features of the language keep changing with
every release.  For God's sake!  I regret ever buying programming python
and learning python... I feel like they're already out of date.

There are lots of nice things about python like its built in [] and {}
and I really like the indention, but I'm about to go back to Java, a
language I know very well and feel comfortable in.  I'm not slamming it,
it has lots of potential, but there are so many stupid illogical
features in Python that just ruin the whole experience.