Python Interpreter Reentrancy?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Apr 22 12:54:12 EDT 2001

[BTW, would you please include attributes for quotes?  Thank you.]

In article <es16et4f51rhs3os8f4sbmas8ef4d0555o at 4ax.com>,
Courageous  <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:
>Aahz:
>>
>>I'm not quite sure what you're asking for.  It's certainly the case that
>>multiple threads in a C application can call Python code, but each time
>>you call into Python, you need to acquire the GIL first (along with first
>>making sure that you've done all the proper initialization).
>
>I'm asking for a reentrant Python interpreter -- one in which a global
>interpreter lock isn't necessary. Clearly that's not around yet.

Nope, although Stackless comes pretty close.  Quite frankly, I find the
GIL rather useful in a lot of ways, and I hope that if/when the GIL
removal happens it's strictly optional.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Beware of companies that claim to be like a family.  They might not be
lying."  --Jill Lundquist