Python 2 times slower than Perl

Ken Seehof kseehof at neuralintegrator.com
Thu Aug 2 20:07:32 EDT 2001

According to http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/:

Actually python averages somewhere around 10% slower than perl.
(sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes python wins)
But python uses about 10% less memory.
(sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes perl wins)

Neither of these perturbations are significant considerations IMO.

Anyway, benchmarks exagerate.  In real application most time in either
language is spent inside library calls.  When you factor that in, I'd bet
the difference in overall performance between python and perl would
be negligible or would have to be explained by a difference in quality
of the extension libraries, not the interpreters.

- Ken Seehof
kseehof at neuralintegrator.com
www.neuralintegrator.com/kseehof