Python 2 times slower than Perl

Mark Nenadov mnenadov at
Thu Aug 2 21:59:23 CEST 2001

In article <ku7kx7gtzk.fsf at>, "Erno Kuusela"
<erno-news at> wrote:

> Can anybody explain why Python is always about 1 time | slower than
> Perl?
> it is not - sometimes it is slower and sometimes faster.
>   -- erno

It doesn't really matter anyways. A developer's time is usually more
costly (except in certain situations). Python code is much easier to

Think about it this way: structured/procedural programming is much faster
than using objects. Why don't we all go back to the old way? There are
tradeoffs to developing reusable and easy to maintain software. Sometimes
you gotta sacrifice on the execution speed.

"Son, is that spagetti on your screen, or is it just Perl code?" - Anon.

~Mark Nenadov (author/editor for