Saving disk space (was: Re: Python versions (was Re: os.execl()))

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Aug 27 16:32:01 EDT 2001

    Sheila> The test/ directory is long since gone, as the total space my
    Sheila> site had at the time of last install, was 45 MB. Now I have 70
    Sheila> MB, with near to half of that free. But clearly, no room for the
    Sheila> unnecessary stuff. When I do an install, I have to temporarily
    Sheila> go over my quota. I haven't called it to the sysadmin's
    Sheila> attention, and he hasn't said anything.  After the install is
    Sheila> complete, I start deleting stuff like crazy.

You might be able to avoid some of that over-quota stuff by getting tricky
about what make targets you build or by judicious editing of the install
stuff.   For example, you can delete "test" from the LIBSUBDIRS variable to
skip installing it and comment out the last two lines of the libinstall
target's actions which just generate all the .pyo files you're deleting.

Skip