ZPT, was Re: Zope is Evil is back.

Paul Winkler slinkp23 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 13:36:12 EDT 2001

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Paul> I'm trying to migrate to ZPT and completely stop using DTML.
>
> For those of us who don't follow Zope closely, what's ZPT?

Zope Page Templates.
These are intended to provide a cleaner, simpler, and more consistent template
language for Zope. Pythonistas might appreciate that. It's implemented as an
attribute language for XML, which should please the buzzword addicts.
Furthermore, you can view a Page Template directly in an HTML browser and
actually see something useful, and successfully edit it in a third-party app
such as GoLive. (I have heard that DreamWeaver doesn't quite work as hoped at
the moment.)

A good introductory document is the FAQ:
http://www.zope.org//Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/FAQ

At first there wasn't much to go on for learning ZPT, just the language spec,
but there's now an excellent tutorial:
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/SimpleTutorial

And an introduction for people familiar with DTML:
http://www.zope.org//Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/IntroductionForDTMLers

And a pile of examples comparing DTML and ZPT solutions to the same tasks:
http://www.zope.org/Members/peterbe/DTML2ZPT

--
custom calendars & printing: http://www.calendargalaxy.com