Progress on missing features?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 16:25:22 EDT 2001

"Dinu Gherman" <dinu at reportlab.com> wrote in message
news:3b794800.115888839 at news.t-online.de...
> Hi,
>
> given the recent burst of new features in Python I do wonder
> what happend to those that are missing from Python for a
> long while now? I'm listing here only these:
>
>   - interfaces
>   - class methods
>   - type indicators (opt.)
>
> Being aware of the class/type unification announced for
> before Python 3000, I'm not listing this one above.

Class methods are part of Python 2.2 alpha, which you can
download and try out.  Regarding typing issues, Guido very
recently mentioned that the types SIG is active for a few
weeks a year, mostly spent recalling where they were last
time, so, while eventually optional declarations may be
slated to appear, it may be best not to hold one's breath
while waiting.

On interfaces, see:
http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0245.html
regarding syntax issues -- status is draft, and Python
version is said to be 2.2;
http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0246.html
regarding 'protocol adaptation' -- same status and
version.
I have no idea exactly what that 'version' means in
the PEP's -- e.g., iterators (PEP 234), which emerge
with Python 2.2, are described in the PEP as having
Python version of 2.1.

Alex

Alex