python and SOAP??

Brian Lloyd brian.lloyd at zope.com
Fri Dec 14 15:45:58 EST 2001

> I saw at soapware.org, that there are at least 2 SOAP implementations
> for python supporting both client and server development.
>
> one is SOAP.py in version 0.97 from Cayce Ullman and Brian Matthews.
> and the other is a implementation from pytonware.
>
> does anybody have experience with these modules???
>
> the latest stable version of the pythonware module is 18 months old.
> is this project dead????
>
> the SOAP.py seems to be under active development.
>
> can anybody recommend me which one to choose???
> or what the differences are??

If you're interested, I've been plodding along on a comprehensive
SOAP / Web Services package:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/WebServicesForZope/

http://cvs.zope.org/Packages/WebService/

(Note that the python package is not Zope-specific in any way).

It's probably not quite ready for real-world use yet, but I thought
I'd mention it in an effort to solicit feedback from Python folks
interested in web services.

You should also look at ZSI (Zolera SOAP Infrastructure) at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywebsvcs/

Brian Lloyd        brian at zope.com
Software Engineer  540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com