stackless python

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Thu Dec 20 00:02:03 EST 2001

Quoth "John DeWeese" <deweese at usc.edu>:
| Hello, I'm a python newbie interested in using stackless python to support
| hundreds of simulation objects for a game. I've checked out various articles
| and it sounds great, and I've visited stackless.com. Seems that branch is
| becoming a bit dated. I also see that some features such as generators (not
| relevant to me) have made it into python 2.2. So, what's up, can anyone
| share their experiences regarding stackless python, micro-threads, etc.?

Stackless can really do miracles for an application design that has to
deal with asynchronous event handling of some kind.  I don't think you
ever get miracles like that free, though.  To work with Stackless, you
really need to keep your head screwed on - in my opinion it isn't for
casual use in every conceivable application.  Raw continuations, anyway -
I don't know microthreads, that sword is probably not so double-edged.
Anyway, it's like a whole new language, and one with not much competition -
I don't know, can Scheme do that stuff?

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com