Fatal Error in the interpreter?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue Dec 11 05:30:14 EST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Courageous wrote:

> I'm currently using the Debug build from Python as checked
> out of the current CVS branch (Python22). I have an extension
> that I've written and compiled successfully, but when I import
> it, the interpreter crashes:
>
> Fatal Error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
>
> Upon introspection, it appears that the program is crashing
> from within Py_InitModule().
>
> I clearly see the version mismatch suggestion on the error
> line, but after fishing about, I'm fairly confident that I
> don't have a different Python in my runtime than the Python
> I compiled with.
>
> What else causes this error?

The one time I saw this (on OS/2 so it may not translate), ISTR that I was
trying to explicitly load the Python DLL, rather than rely on linkage via
an import library.  I concluded that, for this case, various things that
the DLL expected to be defined/initialised (by linkage of the parent with
the import library) in the process address space weren't there....

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia