Cygwin socket library status enquiry

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Dec 18 15:52:20 EST 2001

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> writes:

[snip]
> It has already been reported (thirteen days ago) as
>

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&func=detail&aid=48
> 9709
>
> and it apparently looks like it won't be fixed in the 2.2 timeframe -- it
> needs attention from the Cygwin team, who aren't synchronized to Python
> releases. So I have just added a note that the bug applies to 2.2c1/Win98 as
> well. We'll see what happens...

Well, that bug is assigned to me, and there's a comment (also from me)
describing how to get round it (build _socket statically), which is
duplicated in the README (in a section written by me and Jason and
checked in by me) to the same effect.

It's safe to say I knew about this <wink>.  I should have warned you
about it, though -- sorry about that.

> I'll see what I need to omit to get it to build, and follow up if I
> make progress.

You need to build _socket statically.

I might see if I can bodge setup.py so that it screams at you if you
try to build a dynamic _socket module on cygwin.

Cheers,
M.

--
  While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
  Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work.    -- C Hacking