Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Tue Dec 4 12:31:30 EST 2001

On 4 Dec 2001 02:39:19 -0800, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.net> wrote:
> If you have a file which uses only "hard tabs" for indentation, and
> someone then modifies their indentation level in an editor which
> supports "hard tabs", and that person then uses "hard tabs" to indent
> code in that file, then there isn't a problem.

    Yes, there is.  Hard tabbers, like you, forget that not all indention,
even for the most stout hard tabber will always be tabs.  If you haven't
figured that out yet, you haven't been coding long enough.

> If, on the other hand, someone loads the file into such an editor and
> starts slapping the space bar to indent code, then you do have a
> problem.

    No, I don't.  Because when the file is saved all indention is in spaces.
Never a tab shall be written out, period.  In that manner there are no
problems.

    Furthermore I am not flaming people who use hard tabs.  I am upset at
people who are arguing for hard tabs who, for three days, blatently ignored a
simple example which blew their argument out of the water.  I am further upset
by blundering nits who waltz into the discussion, throw out what a tab means
in two entirely unrelated contexts, and then things he's the flippin' mossiah!

    To email: Don't despair!   |  -- Lenny Nero, Strange Days