python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Feb 8 18:03:38 EST 2001

"Andrew Dalke" <dalke at acm.org> writes:

> So just how am I supposed to follow what is going on
> in Python development and how do I make comments in a
> timely manner?

Well, it's not quite as closed as it may sound - the membership on the
list itself is closed to those participating in the core development,
but anyone can send e-mail to the list, and all mail is archived and
can be followed through the archive.

(Although as suggested elsewhere, a gateway to a newsgroup (even if
one-way) would be cool as I find news the most efficient vehicle to
follow active lists.)

I'm not totally clear on the rationale for the closed status (and I'm
not currently on the list), but I'm guessing there was an expectation
that an open list would get lots of lurking subscriptions which might
really ratchet up the load tremendously for spurious discussions.

This way, those directly on the list are those writing the code.  In
effect, it really is a core developers list, but it's been opened up
enough so that anyone can peruse it - or contribute individual mail.

--
-- David