Gauging system load

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Feb 15 17:59:57 EST 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:17:16AM -0600, William Annis wrote:
>but on any unix flavor you should be able to parse the output from
>uptime.  And if you're running Solaris, you can grab my PyKstat

Uptime isn't that good of a metric.  It only represents the number of
processes waiting to run, and is often highly affected by disc I/O.
If are doing a CPU-intensive task on Linux, you can process /proc/stat
to find out what % of CPU utilization is going on.  Probably want to
check on disc IO too, if that's important.

Sean
--
 George Washington was first in war, first in peace -- and first to
 have his birthday juggled to make a long weekend.