Is Python for me?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 11:29:41 EST 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote in message
> [Kendall G. Clark]
> > So lemme see if I've got this right:
> >
> > 1. There's something Alex Martelli doesn't know; and
>
> Na, that's an illusion.  Alex is working hard to keep his posts under 50Kb
> these days, so he can't afford to divulge more than the tiniest fraction
of
> what he knows.

Actually, my target-function is still the sum of squares of
my posts' sizes, just as it always was -- except that a little
programming bug was recently fixed (seems I must _minimize_
this target under certain constraints, rather than _maximize_
it -- don't you wish bot programmers tested more carefully...!).

But I still don't know exactly what C-coded-for-Python module
is best to do some logistic regression, ANOVA, and a few other
things (quite a few suggestions have come in but I still have
not had the time to try them...!).  So, there IS something I
don't know (at least until I do find the time to try out the
various suggestions I received).

> language.  The original questioner was attracted to functional languages,
> and they tend to be on the minimal side (notwithstanding that in recent

O'Caml appears to work rather hard to buck that tendency, IMHO -- still
not as big a language as C++, CLisp, or Ada, but to me it seems on that
route (which is part of why O'Haskell IS so interesting -- it seems to
be managing to be adding a LOT of deep functionality *without* all that
many "convenient" [!] doodads -- but I have to admit my opinion is based
strictly on reading _about_ it... haven't coded so much as a helloworld
in O'Haskell, yet).

Alex