do python programmers avoid the mac?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Mon Jan 15 13:57:36 EST 2001

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 12:05:10AM +0100, Pete wrote:
| Hi Fredrik
|
| Played with python on mac OS 9 for a few months...lots of loud noises
| (me when it crashes again.) I'm thinking that with far fewer
| developer-eyes off the main-stream this thing is never going to be
| stable enough...I'll be patient and hope that Mac OS X is a more of a
| hit with the technical bods that matter.
|
| Although thinking about Mr Job's promise of OS X being a first-class
| Java environment and exposing lots of neat OS features, perhaps Jython
| could be the answer?

I'm experimenting with Jython now.  It's pretty cool.  You can write
Python code and run it in an interpreter like usual, or you can
compile it to java bytecode.  When it is java bytecode, it basically
just calls the appropriate API functions in the interpreter.  (You
still need to have the interpreter in CLASSPATH)  Python code run by
Jython has access to Java classes.

-D