re bad leadership

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jul 24 19:49:45 EDT 2001

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at home.com> writes:

> > So why not swap the proposed meanings of // and /?  I realize this
> is the
> > third time I've said this but I think it would silence a lot of
> objections
> > and no one seems to have noticed the other two times.
>
> This would break as much or more code as the current proposal.  Read
> the PEP.

Are you sure?  I can't really see anything in the PEP that would seem
to imply this.  It talks about comparing // to functions like div(),
but not the use of // for the new behavior over /.

I can't see how this approach would break _any_ code, since // isn't
an operator now and thus can't be used in any other way by current
code.  In fact, it parses as a syntax error.

I buy the obvious aesthetic argument about really wanting to fix the
obvious division operator, /, but can't see how using // would have
any backwards-compatibility problems.

--
-- David