Non-Programmers (was: Changing the Division Operator)

markus at kepler.ibp.de markus at kepler.ibp.de
Tue Jul 31 07:40:41 EDT 2001

Bruce Sass <bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:

> In this context, it comes from the CP4E motivation that people may be
> called upon to script operations or interactions between their
> `toys'... calling them "non-programmers" is shorter than saying,
> `people who may need to program without knowing they are doing it'
> (imo).

We obviously need a good name.

Maybe 'non-professional programmers'? Doesn't sound right. It should
mean someone whose profession is something else and who has to write
some code to get the work done. Something like the work of system
administrators, who may have to write some code but whose programs
probably will never run on other machines than those which they
administrate.

Perl is called a 'glue language', so should we call the work of system
administrators and other 'non-programmers' as 'glue programming'?
Sounds strange, but at least it is new.

Any ideas?

- Markus