re bad leadership

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jul 24 17:16:08 EDT 2001

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> it doesn't matter what the leadership says is right. The popular vote is
> against the stupid float '/' operator.
>
> MDFL you are wrong! Give up gracefully now!

(and)

> In message <20010724171838.A21770 at xs4all.nl>, Thomas Wouters
> <thomas at xs4all.net> writes
> >Robin, sorry, but you are wrong <wink>.
> >
> that's almost always true, but I think not in this particular case. I
> think the compatibility issue is of prime importance here.

I think this thread suddenly veered the integer division discussion
well off a reasonable track and in quite the wrong direction.

It's worth pointing out that placing more weight on the compatibility
argument (with which I happen to agree) does not imply either the
desired float '/' operator is "stupid" nor that Guido must be "wrong".
And name calling is never good form.

If the "leadership" were really "M" (e.g., malevolent, which BTW,
seems an awfully strong word to me), then stuff would just change and
break and we'd be discussing/complaining about it after the fact
rather than before the fact.  This discussion may be over the top far
too often, with far too much repetition, but there's still useful
snippets of discourse if you pick your way through it.

But let's not make the mistake of letting this get personal in any
way.  It's (or it should be) a technical debate.

--
-- David