Python scripting [was: Re: emacs speedbar for python mode?]

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jun 25 15:29:02 EDT 2001

[Bud Rogers]

> Roman Suzi wrote:

> > On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Bud Rogers wrote:

> >> I have had similar thoughts.  Imagine a programmer's editor of the
> >> calibre of [x]emacs that used python as a built in extension language
> >> in the same way that emacs uses lisp.

> > Did you mean Cool Edit?

> Wow.  It definitely has possibilites.  I'll have to get better
> acquainted.  Thanks.

I took a quick look at Cool Edit this morning.  It has Python scripting
capabilities indeed, and looks quite friendly (but it _requires_ X, sigh).
I imagine Cool Edit to be very useful for moderate, yet capable editing jobs.

On the other hand, at first glance, it seems far from being comparable to
Emacs.  I mean that, despite the most popular features are represented in
Cool Edit, a great deal of work would be needed to retrofit Emacs level of
comprehension and completeness.  I also guess, but without really knowing,
that the user would choke under the interface if she wanted to simultaneously
edit hundreds of buffers, as it sometimes happens for bigger projects.

Once again, Cool Edit seems very interesting for most users, wanting a
tool more capable and versatile that most editors meant to be friendly,
but I would not dare comparing it with Emacs, on the caliber standpoint.