[OT] MS EULA -- (will ActiveState become outlaws? ;-)

Mats Wichmann xyzmats at laplaza.org
Fri Jun 22 18:51:03 EDT 2001

On 22 Jun 2001 17:06:43 GMT, David LeBlanc <whisper at oz.nospamnet>
wrote:

:In article <3B33644D.E32B4215 at pfortin.com>, pfortin at pfortin.com says...
:> This page was visible with NS4.77/Linux yesterday; now, it stalls for a few
:> seconds, then presents a "page not found" screen...  either they are shutting
:> out NS and/or Linux, or they've removed it...
:
:Today MS IE 5.5 stalls and then puts up a "page cannot be found" 404
:page. I wonder if MS legal woke up and smelled the gathering litigation
:clouds. I'm not a lawyer, but this smacks of restraint of trade or unfair
:competition at least. Of course, that's par for the course at MS, but
:even they are not usually so stupid as to hand the opposition a smoking
:gun like this.

No, it really is, as Marc-Andre just said, the "Slashdot Effect": get
your page listed on Slashdot, especially for something
negative-sounding, and two million people try to connect to your site
at the same time.

A performance problem.

Mats Wichmann

(Anti-spam stuff: to reply remove the "xyz" from the
address xyzmats at laplaza.org. Not that it helps much...)