Is this a true statement?

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Mon Jun 25 10:16:30 EDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:42:27 GMT, grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards)
wrote:

>>> He's making a very finicky, nitpicking, and frankly silly point [...]
>>
>>I don't think the point was entirely silly!
>>It was a valid and interesting point (despite being finicky and
>>nitpicking!)
>
>Yes, it's trivially and obviously valid: a driver is a bit
>pattern, and you can write a bit pattern to a file with Python.
>
>If you show an example of how this is a useful and productive
>way to generate a device driver, _then_ it will be interesting.
>Until then, it's just somebody chattering to hear themselves
>talk.

That's a truly remarkable attitude. Nothing is worth knowing
unless it solves a practical problem right now.

I actually learned something about device drivers from all this.
Not from something that anyone actually said - I learned
something about device drivers by assuming that people _must_
be making much more sense than they _appeared_ to be making,
and trying to figure out what I could be misconceiving
that would make all those comments that must actually be
sensible appear like nonsense to me.

"Chattering to hear themselves talk" indeed. There were
questions I kept asking. Questions which nobody answered
yesterday, even though I kept pointing out that nobody
had answered them - people seemed unable to believe that
they were actual questions or something. Figured out
the answers for myself last night, then this morning
the first thing I said was "no, of course in that
sense you cannot write device drvers in Python".

Certainly do appreciate your assistance here. "chattering
to hear themselves talk"...

>Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!!! I am having
>                                  at               fun!!!
>                               visi.com

David C. Ullrich