Python for Commercial Games?

Michael Robin me at mikerobin.com
Wed Jun 27 12:23:07 EDT 2001

I assume you've seen PyGame??
It's great - I'm playing with it myself now.
Check out:
   http://pygame.seul.org/
So, from a technical POV you should be OK.
Only a real CPU-soaker should be a problem. Check out Solar Wolf for a
great professional looking game written in PyGame.

As for the for licensing issues, you should be ok too -- here's a
response I got recently regarding licensing issues:

-----------
>From Pete Shinners (the pygame guy...):

...with the LGPL you are allowed to sell the game binary only
however you see fit. the requirement is that if you use the
pygame libraries (and sdl, etc) you can only ship binaries
that are from the original pygame source. if you end up making
any changes to pygame you must release those changes. you can
still release the game without shipping the source, the only
source needed are any changes you make to pygame...
your best bet is to send any pygame changes in to me. i'll
likely add the changes into the real pygame source, and then
there's no need for you to release any source.

hope this helps,
mike