Copying files to multiple comp's on a lan

Henrik Berg Nielsen hbn at imada.sdu.dk
Fri Jun 1 13:41:45 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm rather new to Python, and this is my first post in this NG (as you can
probably tell). I hope that you guys can get the meaning of my writings as
english is not my native language, so I apology beforehand for any
spelling/grammatical errors.

I need to make a small script thats capable of copying a file from the
machine that its being run on to all the other machines on the lan. The
target path on all the other machines should be the same. The script should
take the path of the source file and the remote path to the shared folder(s)
as arguments. I'll define all the machines the file is to be copied to
elsewhere.

Where do I start when making such a script? What kind of builtins should I
know of and which functions will be useful in my work? What do I need to
investigate closer (I've never tried network programming before)?

I used to do this filecopying for each machine seperately with the Windows
Explorer, and seeing as its something that I do rather often, I'm beginning
to get a little bugged by this tedious method, and have decided that now its
time to make it a little more automated.
If you know of an already existing program that can accomplish this task for
me any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Henrik Berg Nielsen