Linux compile Q's Python 2.1

myself twofingersalute at atl.mediaone.net
Mon Jun 11 14:22:22 EDT 2001

In article <20010609.234511.1943327684.1229 at K7.atl.mediaone.net>, "myself"
<twofingersalute at atl.mediaone.net> wrote:

> Sorry to bother you guys so soon after my last post, but.......
>
> being unable to properly install from srpm, figured to just
> compile/install from source- did it a year or so ago for 1.5, shouldn't
> be a big whoop. Bzzzt.
>
> ./configure- ok
>
> made a few changes in Modules/Setup, "make", "make test":
>
> 17 tests skipped: test_al test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_dbm test_dl
> test_gl test_imgfile test_largefile test_minidom test_nis test_pyexpat
> test_sax test_sunaudiodev test_sundry test_winreg test_winsound
>
> doesn't look tragic, seems like I had more skipped tests last time, but
> you guys be final arbiters.... "make altinstall libinstall"- well I'm a
> bit afraid latest Py will break something the system might need WRT Py
> 1.5.2, but only error of note (to my untrained eye) seems reasonable:
> I'll have to manually update sys.path. So now I'm looking at creating a
> script to start my shiny new IDLE (.08?)- but it *didn't* get installed-
> the sources are in my install directory, but nada in
> python2.1/site-packages (or anwhere else in /usr/local). What did I
> miss?? So:
>
> [root at K7 Python-2.1]# make uninstall
> make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'.  Stop.
>
> how rude  :-( !  I really wanted to start fresh, partly 'cause I didn't
> realize that some/most/all of my mods to Setup are handled automagically
> by setup.py. Running Mandrake 7.2, gcc-2.95.2-12mdk, installing from
> Python-2.1.tgz from Pythonlabs. tcl/tk seemed to install fine. Clues?
> Please? (I've surely left out the imp't stuff, but if I knew what it
> was, probably wouldn't need to come a beggin' :-> ). PS- I don't have a
> PYTHONHOME set (noticed it was a prob. for others).
>
> TIA, y'all (yep, we _really_do_say_that_).....

hmmm.... seems I remembered simply overwriting the idle install with a
snapshot in order to upgrade a previous version, so I copied the idle
source from my install directory to the 2.1 site-packages- seems to work
after I also created a script to set the env variables for 2.1.

thanks for your patience.........