Einstein's Riddle

Petasis George petasis at iit.demokritos.gr
Mon Mar 12 01:54:23 EST 2001

Well, I saw the same in Greek a month ago and it was somewhat
unclear in its formation. Now that I see the English version, the ambiguity
remains. If we assume that the fifth owner owns the fish, then:

There is only one solution if you *asume* that
"The green house is on the left of the white house." means that
the green house in next to the white house, on the left side.
On the other hand, if you assume that the green house is on the left
of the white house, but other houses can be in between, then the are more
than one solutions. In a simple C++ program that a friend wrote to find
all solutions, it find at least 8.

Supposing the first case (green house next to white, on the left), everyone
that tried to solve it succeded. Ok, some people simply need more time.
Even my 16-year little brother manage to solve it. So, where is this 98%
not able to solve it?

But unfortunately, I have to agree with Greg Jorgensen: the way it is
stated is not solvable:-) You have to make assumptions for solving it...

George