XML Module problems

Tim Rowe digitig at cix.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 13:17:00 EST 2001

In article <mailman.982853044.8344.python-list at python.org>,
vonWedel at lfpt.rwth-aachen.de (Lars von Wedel) wrote:

> Hello Martin,
>
> > > First I tried Python on a Solaris machine, finding out that the
> > > python distribution installed does not contain _any_ XML parsers!?
> >
> > It sure does include pyexpat - you have to have the expat library to
> > compile it, though. Of course, I don't know how you had installed
> > Python, so it is certainly possible that there is no XML parser in
> > your installation.
>
> As far as I know we installed a binary package from some site, don't
> know
> from where exactly, though. However, in xml/parsers there is expat.py
> but no pyexpat.

<snip>

That's what I have with my (ActiveState) 2.0 installation.
xml.parsers.expat is very like pyexpat but with some subtle differences
that make the name change appropriate (for example, IIRC expat returns
attributes as a dictionary rather that pyexpat's list -- expat's version
makes much more sense to me). You might also want to look at pyxie which
will niftily dynamically bind members calls to element names -- I'm sure
Sean will turn up with a URL in a moment, but a Google search finds it
easily enough.