Why Python/Jython?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 14:35:33 EST 2001

"Cameron Laird" <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote in message
news:1901D50DC30D30E4.16551C1AB0FB4363.C0D72E208759F8A7 at lp.airnews.net...
    [snip]
>     meaningful.  People do NOT start learning
>     Java lightly; it often takes hours just to
>     install and configure a minimal JDK, let

*blink* -- I'm hardly a Java-ite, myself, but
"install and configure a minimal JDK" I would
estimate as typically a 10-minute job (on, say,
NT -- is it an order of magnitude harder on,
say, Linux?!).  Maybe I misunderstand what
you mean...?

I'll underwrite the rest of your post (haven't
had occasion to use Jython 'in anger', yet, but
from just playing with it it does seem a great
way to exploit the huge libraries available in
and for Java), but this point seems strange.

Alex