win32all buld 137 win32gui fails

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz
Tue Mar 13 15:42:34 EST 2001

"Don Tuttle" <tuttledon at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:DYqr6.83020$__6.16207072 at typhoon.southeast.rr.com...
> "Syver Enstad" <syver at NOSPAMcyberwatcher.com> wrote in message
> news:98l8qk$oeo$1 at troll.powertech.no...
> > I've just installed the win32all build 137 that contains the support for
> > Vtable interfaces in win32com. I've suddenly found that import win32gui
> > fails with the message:
> >
> > ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
> >
> > This is mighty strange as the pyd file is lying there among the other
.pyd
> > files like win32help and so on. Maybe there are some other modules that
> > win32gui depends on that it didn't depend on before?
> >
> Don't know.  It imports fine for me.  Perhaps unistall 137, then
reinstall.

For me, it fails, and pops up a dialogue box with the following helpful
message:

"The DLL PyWinTypes21.dll could not be found in the specified path: ..."

There is a PyWinTypes20.dll in the Windows system32 directory, but no
PyWinTypes21.dll. This is not surprising as I have not installed any version
of Python 2.1 on my system.

win32all version is 137. This is advertised as being for Python 2.0 but
obviously there is a version mix-up.

As a work-around you could try making a copy of PyWinTypes20.dll and
renaming it PyWinTypes21.dll.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research