sorting on IP addresses

Justin Sheehy justin at
Wed Mar 7 05:29:50 CET 2001

Sam Wun <swun at> writes:

> Does anyone know what is the quickly way to sort a list of IP addresses?
> ie. should be larger than

Convert to longs and sort on those values?

Not all that quick, I suppose, but I don't know of a faster correct way.

I suppose you could do it one octet at a time, which might be faster
for cases like your example where the addresses are fairly close.

The actual code for either of those approaches is short and
straightforward.  Just write a little function to compare two
addresses using the method of your choice, and pass it to your list's
sort method.